School Info & Schedule
Edison Junior High School is a 7 & 8 grade school located at 4141 9th Street, Rock Island
Edison Junior High School is located on 9th Street, a main thoroughfare in Rock Island. The surrounding area is a strong mixture of residential, business, office, and light industrial uses.
Start: 8:10 a.m.
Dismissal: 2:39 p.m.
Half Day Dismissal: 11:30 a.m.
The Rock Island-Milan School District operates on a modified year-round calendar. School starts in early August, and students have 2-week breaks in the fall, winter, and spring.
388 students in 2016-2017 school year.
The student to teacher ratio at Edison Jr. High is 21:1.
Number of Classes At Each Grade Level
Each student takes five core subjects and 2 electives. Students attend seven academic periods per day plus an advisory session
Breakfast and Lunch Programs
Breakfast and Lunch are offered at no cost to students. Edison offers a breakfast program from 7:45 to 8:05 a.m.
Special Features of Building or Grounds
- Classical brick and limestone architecture
- Warm home-like interior
- Well landscaped grounds with many trees and plants donated by Rock Island residents
Recent and Planned Upgrades
- Extensive tuck pointing
- Interior and exterior remodeling
- Landscaping up-grades
- Extensive technology replacement
- Continued technology upgrades in labs
- Continued remodeling and upgrading of the interior and exterior
Parent Involvement and Opportunities
Parents visit Edison constantly and are seen as a welcome part of the school’s program. Parents are actively involved in the music program, and are also encouraged to participate in the SECME science and math partnership with the Deere & Co. Parent volunteers work within the building and also meet with the School Improvement Team to review and construct meaningful and effective programs for Edison students. Edison's Family Teacher Organization meets regularly to plan family friendly activities for both the school and community.
PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Support)
Edison Jr. High is a PBIS school. The discipline plan focuses on positive intervention and is based on four school policies: Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Safe, and Be There, Be Ready. Students can earn stamps in their daily planner (for citizenship, responsibility, perseverance, etc.) which can be redeemed for snacks, prizes, and special activities.
Safety, Parking, Crossing Guards
All students exit at dismissal to the front of the building where city busses and private transportation waits.
Rock Island-Milan School District offers a diverse academic program including curricular areas of: Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, and the Arts. Instruction is based on the Illinois Learning Standards and incorporates effective, research-based instructional strategies. Grading and student assessment practices are constructed to provide optimal feedback on student academic progress.
Multi-Age or Looping Grades
Edison has multi-year classrooms for the special education classes at both 7th and 8th grades as well as for the gym classes.
Special Programs for Advanced and At-Risk Students
Rock Island-Milan School District believes that students with potential for outstanding accomplishments require special provisions to meet their educational needs. The advanced program identifies individuals through teacher referral, cognitive ability, and achievement testing and establishes a challenging academic program for those identified students.
Library and Technology Services
Edison has a well-appointed and well-stocked library to stimulate teenage interests and to provide needed research to enhance the learning process. Our technology services allow students to not only become proficient in its use but also proficient in exploring ways to use technology to enhance their studies and lifestyles as they become lifelong learners.
Academic Programs Offered
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a John Deere funded program for both 7th & 8th grade that exposes students to various types of college settings, increased academic rigor and promotes a "college changes everything" environment.
- Edison Jr. High has hired a trained Title 1 teacher who is available to work with all language arts teachers.
- Title 1 and the Lights On for Learning all provide tutoring programs designed to help students meet and exceed the Illinois Learning Standards.
- Athletics as well as other clubs and organizations give students and teachers opportunities to learn and bond outside the classroom.
- Before and after school offerings include Robotics Club, Math Counts, Book Club, and Jazz Band among others.